Red Hawk Elementary values environmental consciousness and awareness in our instruction, building design, and daily school practices.
- Building was designed with energy efficiencies in mind in partnership with Xcel Energy and the governor’s office. Our new building was designed to meet LEED Standards
- A 350 KW ground-mounted on-site solar panels array at Red Hawk provides 95% of the school’s electricity needs, saving an average of $40,000 per year
- Natural lighting incorporated throughout the building enhance student experiences and learning
- Eco-Cycle Green Star School since 2011
- On-site community garden allows students to gain hands-on experience with food production, gardening, and collaboration
Eco-Cycle Green Star School
Students, teachers and staff at Red Hawk Elementary have committed to Zero Waste through Eco-Cycle’s Green Star Schools® program since 2007.
Red Hawk Elementary has partnered with Eco-Cycle to move toward Zero Waste through increased recycling efforts, the implementation of composting school-wide, and special waste reduction activities. The project is part of Eco-Cycle’s award-winning School Recycling and Environmental Education Program. According to Eco-Cycle, “Green Star Schools are the first in the nation to reduce waste in every aspect of school life. As a result of implementing the program, up to two-thirds of the discards from each of the Green Star Schools is kept out of landfills.”
- Reduce Waste
- Increase Recycling
- Implement Collection of Compostables
- Improve Environmental Awareness & Motivate Participation
- Lower Each School’s Trash Bill